| About the Ethics Office
1. What is the mission of the Ethics Office?
2. What is the functon of the Ethics Office?
3. What are examples of issues the Ethics Office can advise on? General
4. Is the Ethics Office part of the Office of the Inspector General?
5. How will the Ethics Office measure its effectiveness?
1. What is the mission of the Ethics Office?(back
Our mission is to improve LAUSD performance by fostering high ethical standards and supporting our employees and leadership with the policies, processes, tools and advice necessary to exemplify conduct that strengthens public trust and confidnce in the integrity of LAUSD's work.
2. What is the functon of the Ethics Office? (back to top)
The Ethics Office oversees and manages the success of LAUSD's ethics policies and programs by acting as a facilitator. In addition to being a resource for employees and LAUSD leaders on ethics and public integrity issues, the Ethics Office work to develop and promote ethics awareness and training, to cultivate consistent ethical practice, and to build transparency and public trust through disclosure programs such as the state-mandated Statement of Economic Interest filings and LAUSD's Lobbying Disclosure Program.
At this stage in our development, the Ethics Office does not enforce ethics rules--rather we are a resource, proving the information, tools and strategies that employees and managers need to exemplify ethical conduct.
3. What are examples of issues the Ethics Office can advise on?(back to top)
The Ethics Office can provide guidance on a range of issues. Some of the most common areas we advise on are:
Conflicts of Interest
Gifts or Honoraria
Outside Employment or Activities
Safeguarding Public/Private Partnerships
Use of LAUSD Resources
4. Is the Ethics Office part of the Office of the Inspector General? (back to top)
No. The Ethics Office often works with the Office of the Inspector General, but is not part of that Office. The Ethics Office is housed in the Office of General Counsel and collaborately closely with senior staff, local districts and our Board of Education.
5. How will the Ethics Office measure its effectiveness? (back to top)
We will benchmark our performance against industry standards and best practices, and work to draw on tools like employee survey samples to measure our effectiveness and impact.